I put mayonnaise in my hair!

15:53


It may be a well known fact to many of you that oils are particularly helpful when improving the quality of your hair. You may also be aware of the benefits of using mayonnaise, but I have to admit this is a fairly new hack I've adopted and I love it. Apparently the oils and egg in the Mayo are the good stuff.

Having naturally curly hair, I have a typically dry and frizz prone barnet. I've tried and tested endless shampoos, conditioners, treatments and styling products that claim to tame frizz, enhance moisture and add shine. Whilst I have found several break through products that do work well for me on a daily basis, I've found a household condiment proves to be more effective than all of these products put together. 

My first reaction to using mayonnaise on my hair was "ew". Mayo is for crispy chips not my frazzled split ends. As I squirted the creamy white stuff onto my hand and poised it over my wet hair it grossed me out even more. Am I really putting mayonnaise in my hair? I held my breath (to block the smell) and pretended it was a £49.99 conditioning treatment Kim Kardashian swears by as I rubbed it into the lengths of my hair. Hurrrlllll. 

I then wrapped my hair in a plastic bag to block the smell. No, apparently this is good for any conditioning treatment to really make it get to work. And the smell wasn't that bad, I don't think Mayo has a particularly strong smell anyway. I waited for 15-30 minutes, not sure how long exactly, I got distracted watching Queen's tennis. 

When rinsing out I used my favourite sulphate free gentle shampoo to wash out all of that eggy condiment. I recommend using a shampoo without sulphates as it won't dry out your hair, undoing all that hard work of the Mayo, which regular shamps tend to do. To finish, I added a dash of leave in conditioner and continued with my regular routine (usually a bit of mousse, curl cream and then plait into two braids). You can read my curly hair routine here.

Does Mayo do any good?
YES. YES. YES. I can't rave about how good (nearly said "this product") mayonnaise is for my hair! I took the braids out the next morning and nearly blinded myself my hair was so shiny. The pictures do not do it justice, it was so soft too. I won't use this all the time as I don't want my hair to get used to it and become ineffective. But I will certainly be putting less Mayo on my chips and saving it to treat my hair! 


Be brave, hold your nose and go slap some Mayo on your hair. 

(Or try these if you really don't fancy raiding the kitchen cupboard)


You Might Also Like

0 comments