10 reasons why brands may not want to work with you: The Brutal Truth

22:02


Ever wondered why brands don't reply to your requests to work with them? Feeling like you're at a bit of a dead end and not progressing as a blogger? Owning a small business myself,  I've had many collaboration requests and it has made me realise that how someone goes about asking to collab can be off putting to brands. Read on to find out what I've learnt about this, first hand from my own company and how it may help you approach brands better.

1. Just want free stuff? Don't bother.
The absolute golden rule of blogging in general. You should not own a blog or think about starting a blog if you are only in it for the "free stuff". My late Grandad told me many times that there is no such thing in life as getting something for "free". And he's right! Blogging requires a lot of hard work, when you get sent a product, a lot of work needs to go into creating your post in order to please the brand for potential future collaborations and to grow respect as a valued blogger. So there is just no point approaching a brand with this kind of attitude, it won't help you in the long run. And it may be easier to spot this kind of attitude than you may think. From owning Magical Matilda Apparel I can certainly tell when someone just wants a free bikini. The typical message I tend to get that tells me that is usually a one sentence DM, no introduction, just a simple "Hi, I'd love to promote you" or "Are you looking for promoters?" or "Is there any chance of me being a promoter cos' I really love your brand"
I feel it is unprofessional, they haven't shown any passion, not told me of past achievements, what they blog about - nothing. Brands can tell if you're just after a freebie.

2. Send an e-mail, not a effortless DM.
Personally, I don't mind being contacted via DM but some bigger companies might prefer an e-mail.. If a brand has provided an e-mail address contact them via that e-mail address! Yes it takes more work than sending a quick DM on the Instagram app that you're already on, but an e-mail looks oh so much more professional.  Even visit their website to find an e-mail if it is not displayed on their Insta bio. If you actually go to the extra trouble of writing an e-mail, the brand will automatically give you more credit for contacting them in a more professional, serious way. Whilst blogging for many of us is a hobby, working with bloggers is a professional thing to brands, it's marketing, it's work, so you need to respect that. 

3. Use appropriate language and structure.
Following on from above, to get across your professionalism you need to structure your e-mail properly and use appropriate language. While being formal is not necessary (it obviously depends on the brand you are approaching), a clear, grammatically correct e-mail is important. And it doesn't even take that long! I would start off by introducing myself, what I blog about and that I'm interested in working with the brand, like an intro to any letter you write. Maybe think of it like a job application. Next, I'd go on to say why I wanted to work for them, briefly state what I know about their brand, what I value, how this fits in with my blog and my previous experience etc. Do your research!! Again, this doesn't take long if you're serious about working with the brand. I'd sign off politely and provide my links. Simple. But it does mean it whittles out those who know nothing about the brand, therefore are not passionate and simply want the freebie.

4. Be realistic.
Approach brands that are realistically going to promote you. Don't have high expectations and try not to contact every single company you like the look of. You'll get fed up of getting no where and end up sending brief DMs like the example in tip 1. Whilst not everything is about follower count, which I will explain next, you can't expect brands to gift you if you do not have an ideal influence. Everyone has got to start somewhere, and there are brands that will be more than happy to work with bloggers who don't necessarily have thousands and thousands of followers so just keep your requests clean, crisp and professional and a company may see a spark in you. In the mean time, keep growing your blog with your own purchases and content.

5. Don't obsess over followers
I think all of us bloggers from time to time take part in a good old "SFS" and there's nothing wrong with that, it's great to help other's, that's what the blogger community is all about. But I recommend not obsessing over it. It's probably not attractive to brands, especially mine, to see potential promoters constantly engaging in these follower activities, obsessively asking people to like their content or filling their bio with things like their follower count, follower goals, "follow back or I unfollow" etc - it's just not genuine. Why would you want someone to like or comment or follow you when they don't like it, don't leave truthful feedback and are highly unlikely to engage in any of your future content? It's not constructive therefore it will be very difficult for you to honestly know what works and what doesn't for your readers and potential collaborators. Basically, if you want to be taken seriously as a blogger who blogs and shares content just because they love it then you shouldn't be worried about follower count. Be genuine, just let it come naturally. 

Second, whilst it's lovely to do a fellow blogger a favour by offering a follow for a follow, the same idea applies. You're going to fill your follower count with people who don't really care about your content, don't really care about the brands you are promoting and also fill your Instagram feed with content you don't really care about. I don't think it's very attractive seeing equal amounts of followers and following, to a brand. What percentage of that is actually genuine, interested followers? Just something to think about. (Obviously I'm not saying only follow like 1 person!) It's all about having a strong influence, perhaps not the number of followers.

6. Take rejection well.
It can be frustrating and maybe upsetting after writing a well thought out piece offering your services to your favourite clothing line only to be turned down. Take rejection gracefully! I've had many people contact my business and when I reply saying I cannot offer a free product or I'm not looking for promoters I sometimes get a moody "ok" or no reply what so ever. I feel it's such a shame to be like that. A polite "thanks for your response! No problem, maybe in the future, thank you anyway" would be a much better option. Rude rejection makes me feel the asker does not care about my brand and yet again are simply after something for nothing. Replying to turned down collaboration requests in a polite, friendly, positive manner may make brands remember you for future opportunities or at least consider you should you apply again.

7. Remember not every company can gift bloggers.
Again, about taking rejection well. Everyone has got to start somewhere, including businesses. Some may not be in the position to offer complimentary products let alone pay bloggers for promotion. So don't feel angered if a brand cannot gift you free of charge and remember to reply politely like I said above. Like several brands I've come across, I've been happy to offer bloggers with a high influence a complimentary bikini. But for bloggers with a lesser influence, this just is not beneficial for a small business like mine to give away stock for free. Therefore I've come up with an alternative that basically offers certain bloggers with a smaller influence the opportunity to purchase a bikini but at a significant discount. Other companies may offer you something similar. That's a really big deal and still a great opportunity! Don't dismiss the idea completely, think about it. If you love what the brand sells, and would have bought something from them anyway, then you should feel delighted that the company has offered you an item for a discount or whatever it may be?! It is a great way for small businesses to keep going whilst getting some exposure and the newbie blogger gets to count this as valuable experience, build their portfolio and gets to purchase a item they enjoy at a discount! Win win!

8. Follow the brand!!
Oh my, the amount of times I've had people asking to work with my bikini business and they aren't even following it...!!!? It's just an instant, absolute no. How can someone be passionate and love the brand when they aren't even following it to show that support and commitment? Again, this could make a brand suspicious that you're only contacting them to see if they'll give you something for free, if not you're not bothered by their company and simply move onto the next. To make myself even more legit and serious, I won't contact the brand until I've been following them for a while. This allows me to study what they're all about and enjoy their posts in order to send them a really knowledgeable, impressive collaboration request. However sometimes, you fall in love with a brand immediately after discovering them and all you want to do is work with them but just be mindful of the tips I've listed here.

9. Keep your blog fresh.
Be sure to update your blog whenever you can, take good quality photos and post good quality content. When you approach a brand and provide your links, they may very well check you out. It's all about first impressions, if you're blog looks good and contains decent stuff, the brand is more likely to consider you. Add widgets, join blogger sites, add the badges, choose a clean layout that fits your style, use catchy headlines and check spelling. Doing this can not only improve the likeliness of a brand choosing to work with you but can also improve the overall success of your blog in regards to readers.

10. Give the brand a shout out!
If you're really into the company and really want to work with them, what's the harm in giving them a quick shout out? It will get you noticed by the brand and they may also be able to assess what kind of influence you have. It will show you care about them enough to want to share their items with your readers. Smaller businesses especially will notice your efforts. It only takes a few minutes and you need not leave the Instagram post up forever. I think this is just another way to prove your creditability, legitimacy and overall enjoyment of the brand to the company. Loyalty - something that could potentially help you in the long run . 

So this post may seem like I'm having a bit of rant ha-ha! But since owning a business of my own it has opened my eyes to some of the collaboration request mishaps other companies have had to endure. I hope these tips that have bugged me as a brand owner will help any bloggers out there improve their relationship with brands. Some of the tips may seem picky, tiresome and requires a lot of bother but brands are looking for someone to represent everything they speak for so they want someone who knows them well, is reliable, honest, genuine and willing to put a lot of bother into their posts. Like I said, it may just be a hobby to most bloggers but it is part of their business to a brand, they need to find the perfect promoter. If you take just one thing away from this post, take this: don't approach companies just for the free stuff


You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. These are some really great tips, thanks for sharing! Keep up the great work with your new business! :)

    ReplyDelete