DIY: Shabby Chic'ing my bedside table

21:19


As a break from my current final year uni work pressures, I decided to set myself a project to complete over the Easter weekend - To paint my bedside table! I just wanted to share this with you lovelies as I'm really pleased with how it turned out!







If you've seen my previous post on bedroom interior, you'll know my room has a luxury French/shabby chic theme with minimal colours in the way of creams and gold accents. All my furniture used to be solid oak, so a mix of orangey and neutral browns - hardly fitting with my room. So I've been slowly painting all the items to give a more modern, minimal look.

To start, I thoroughly sanded the whole unit to break up the varnished surface to ensure the paint would stick properly. This got really dusty, so I did this in an area where it didn't matter too much about mess. 

Secondly the unit required a base coat - just like painting nails, hey?! I used just a brilliant white emulsion paint from Dulux, and slapped it on. I had to do this quite quickly with quite a lot on the brush to avoid overly obvious bristle strokes. This particular paint took 16 hours to dry in-between two coats which covered the wood almost completely. After each coat was dry, I used the sand paper again to smooth out any paint lumps or uneven strokes. 

Finally it was time to apply two coats of my top coat, leaving 6 hours in-between each coat. For this I used a paint especially for wood products such as furniture, doors, skirting boards etc, in Jasmine White. As you can see from the photos, it is basically just white... But it seems to be a slightly warmer colour than the brilliant white undercoat. This went on beautifully, again having to work quite quickly to avoid those pesky brush lines! 

After a final, gentle sanding down - t'dah! It was done! I also changed the old wooden handles for these snazzy sparkly glass ones from The Range. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out and looks so much more fitting in my bedroom! Now just to tackle my bed..... 

Dulux White Emulsion B&Q £20 / Dulux Jasmine White Satinwood Paint Homebase £19.49 / Glass & Chrome Cupboard Handles The Range £9.99 / Lamp & Shade The Range £10.99 / Disney Photo Frame Walt Disney World Florida 2015 / Black Board Primark £5



You Might Also Like

0 comments