Finally finding a skincare routine that works.

17:10




Probably since turning a teenager was when I first noticed my skin being an issue. I sometimes feel I have been a bit harsh and under appreciative of my skin because in hindsight it has not been nearly as bad as some. I have never suffered from acne, other than the odd spot and I know I have been very lucky for that. However, I have had visible, enlarged pores, a very oily t-zone, patchy colouring and raised skin coloured bumps which have all contributed to my skin looking uneven, unsmooth and not very fresh looking. After trialling and testing a large number of screams, treatments, scrubs and washes to try to fix the problem without any luck, throughout my teens I stopped the skincare and turned to covering up the problem with make-up. Looking back, I think this only made the problem worse when I could have been treating it if I had kept up a skin care routine. 


When I realised this several years ago, I knew I needed a consistent skin care routine with products that specifically targeted the issues I had, whilst using make-up that would not aggravate the problem. In this post, now nearly 23, I am going to share my basic skin care routine and a couple of make-up products I use that are finally giving me the smooth, clean and clear skin I've always wanted. By no means is my skin perfectly flawless, but it feels smooth to the touch, even with make-up on, with less breakouts, less oil and foundation no longer dries and clogs in certain areas. So, let’s get on with it!



Occasional skincare
By occasional skincare, I mean the products I don't use every day. I was introduced to Liz Earle only this Christmas with her popular Hot Cloth wash and I felt it changed my skin from day one, instantly leaving it feeling gorgeously fresh and perfectly smooth. It really is the perfect product for my skin. Like I said, I don't use this every day because my skin doesn't need it every day and I fear it will stop being so effective. I just tend to use it perhaps every time I was my hair or every other time. Having curly hair, I only tend to wash my hair twice a week, for an idea on how often I use this. It just gives it a little softness boost and ensures all dirt is removed from my skin. I just need to remember to splash my face with cold water to minimise the pores I have always had trouble with.

The second product pictured is a coffee scrub from Bean Burst. I was gifted this by Bean Burst as part of a blogger collaboration and it is probably one of the collabs I am most thankful for. Not only does it smell of glorious wake-me-up coffee, but it is a beautiful, if slightly messy scrub. The graduals are quite big and instantly make any section of skin feel perfectly smooth and fresh. Due to the abrasive nature of the graduals, I think it is more fitted for using as a body scrub - which I do, especially before applying fake tan. However, about once a month or maybe more, I'll gently massage a small amount of this scrub into my face just to give it a really intense cleanse to remove any dead skin cells. It is enriched with oils which I think help with this rich, occasional facial scrub. 




Daily skincare
 Again, only two items pictured here. I don't think there is a need to spend hours using 20 different products of an evening. I do use other items, but these are the only ones I have recently introduced. I start with a combination skin friendly make-up wipe, just those green packets from Superdrug, maybe I will use the Liz Earl quickly if I have worn particularly heavy make-up that day as well. However, the Nip + Fab Glycolic Night Pads usually take off any remaining foundation whilst gently exfoliating and injecting some Glycolic Acid. This sounds a bit aggressive, but it is great for pores. I also have the wash off treatment mask by Nip + Fab but this alternative is quick to apply. It leaves the skin feel soft and smelling of fresh grapefruit. 

At this stage, I'll also apply a Simple eye roll on and dab a few drops of a blemish gel such as Clinique Solutions to some imperfect areas, such as where spots have left a couple marks. 

I finish by spreading some Aveeno Cream all over my face and neck. This cream is so great, I think it has really contributed to the new smoothness of my face. I has been the last new product I have added to my routine and definitely seems to be the icing on the cake. It sinks in very quickly and I also use it along with Garnier's Mattifying cream just before make-up application as well. Love this product. I'm keen try the bigger bottle as a body lotion.



 Make-up changes
The make-up you choose can make a difference to the skin underneath. I'm sure many know, some foundations leave you with breakouts or cling to areas where we don't want it to cling to. I think like skincare, it is just about trial and error. So after the creams mentioned above, I have a couple primers that work well for me including Porefessional, one by Elf, Smashbox's Photofinish, and my favourite for everyday use, Revlon's Photoready primer. It is nice and silky, weightless and seems to keep everything in place well. It is one of the pricier high-street primers but you get a fairly large bottle which has lasted me a long time. 

As for foundation, I've found that expensive really does mean better quality for me. Which is why I am loving Estee Lauder Double Wear as it is very good for oily skin and stays put all day. However, I don't like to use it every single day, especially when I'm only working for 4 or 5 hours some days. So after a lot of recommendations, I purchased the L'Oreal Infallible foundation in matte. I think it is very similar to Double Wear in way of coverage, last and matte finish. So, I'm very happy to be using this on a daily basis and save my Double Wear for when I'm going somewhere special or need to wear make-up for a long period of time. I think the DW lasts better in harsh environments such as humidity and a bit of misty rain, but the Infallible is excellent for daily use.

I've also started using the brush thingy make-up applicator. This one was just £4 from Primark, I'm sure there are better ones but I really like the finish this product gives. I thought brush marks would appear, but absolutely not, so long as I remember to was the brush regularly. This is the only negative, I think it needs more regular washes than a sponge. I've also recently picked up a sponge from H&M and that us surprisingly more impressive than the Real Techniques version, so try pick up one of those for £1.99 if you're passing H&M.

The Powerhouse Lip Voltage isn't strictly a skincare improver, but I've always been unhappy with the lack of volume in my lips as well as the texture and cracked appearance. This stuff does sting but I can definitely say it makes a significant difference to the size and texture of my lips. The solution claims to boost lip size over time with regular use and I can also vouch for this. I'm finally happy with my lips too! 

And that's it. That is everything I have changed with my facial skin care recently and finally am loving the results. I can't believe it has taken me until 22 to find what works for me, so don't get frustrated if you're struggling with your own skin care! Keep reading reviews, check out new products, be cheeky and ask the shop assistant for a sample to try or find them on eBay. As I've said, unfortunately, most of the things that work well for me are not the cheapest version available, but where skincare is concerned, I am happy to pay a little extra for something a little bit better. I also think the more expensive products mean I require less product per application so it ends up lasting a good amount of time. 


You Might Also Like

0 comments