How to maintain a consistent looking Instagram

12:50

 

Over the past few months, I've slowly (finally) transformed my Instagram into a theme that I feel is working well for me. I've had many compliments and lots of questions asking me how I get it to look how it does. So I thought I'd write a short how-to guide explaining how to create a consistent, professional looking Insta. 

Pick a filter and stick to it
This is probably the most important step I like to follow. I think something that instantly makes an Insta look better and more professional is if all the photos have the same filter applied to them. So whether you choose a filter with a lot of blue tones, black and white, whatever, your account will instantly flow better and be more pleasing to the eye if the content is matching in this way. 

How to pick a filter
I wouldn't pick a filter that requires you to apply something like 5 colour filters from 3 different apps and then adjust 10 different photo editing options - it's just gonna take far too long every time and you're gonna get fed up with it very quickly. I use one colour filter and then use FaceTune to turn any backgrounds in my pictures black and white. I've gone for this look because I think it mades the central object really pop out and also makes my instagram look really clean and comfortable to look at. Then I simply use the features in the Instagram photo edit to add a bit of structure, sharpen etc. It is effective and easy to do, so I recommend choosing something simplistic like that.

I find it best to apply a fairly neural filter too. You can really over do the editing with too much contrast or brightness etc and the image will end up looking really unnatural and over edited.  

Backgrounds
By this I mean the backdrop of your photos. Since I edit my photos to look nice and white, I tend to only picture things that have bright backdrops to help with the editing process. For example, I probably wouldn't post a night time shot because it would be too much of a contrast to my other images. 

Angles
I think it is nice to experiment with different angles with your camera. Even though I want my Insta to look consistent, I also want it to look natural. Instead of taking all of your pictures from above with the feature object dead on centre all the time, try experimenting with different angles so viewers don't get bored of your account. Even by just crouching down and positioning your object to the far left will help you mix up the angle of your images.

Image content
If you're a blogger and your sole focus is makeup or shoes or whatever, it is best to fill 80% of your Instagram with images relating to your chosen topic. This helps to build an audience as they will begin to recognise your account and style with your chosen focus. If you don't have a particular content focus, I think it is even more crucial that you get a consistent theme going.

Camera choice
To keep my Instagram looking as professional as possible, I only use the camera on my iPhone 6S+ or Lumix Camera(s). So I wouldn't really post an image using SnapChat as I think it makes my account look less blogger and more 'personal account' - I've got @BethChx for that! These camera choices also keep images of a nice quality.

These are just some of the tips I like to think about when updating my Insta. I'm not saying it is wrong to have a 'non consistent' account, this is just some simple tips for those who are looking to improve theirs! The main thing is to be unique and create an account that is a true reflection of you. If that means using a different filter every day, taking pictures of your holidays one minute to daft photos of your dog the next, then go for it!! I think it is often too easy to ask how someone edits their pictures and just apply it to yours, have a mess around with some editing apps and try to create your own look. Here are some apps I love:

- VSCO: some lush filters, lots of editing tools
- Snapseed: nitty gritty editing e.g white backgrounds
- Facetune: nitty gritty editing e.g white backgrounds, removing blemishes
- Afterlight: good filters, lots of editing tools
-  PhotoWonder/MakeupPlus: for sorting out any makeup mistakes (careful not to overdo this one)
- Phonto: Adding text like watermarks, announcements etc
- Layout: adds frames or multiple picture collages



You Might Also Like

0 comments