CHEAP MAKE-UP BRUSHES

16:17


There's a hell-ov-a lot of pressure on Instagram and social media in general these days to have the best of the best, and tbh it is just not realistic. I'm so bummed when I see other bloggers showing off these amazingly beautiful fancy-pants make-up brushes then only to check the price tag to see they are waaaay out of my budget. Being the utter bargain hunter that I am, I thought "my arse am I paying fifty quid for a stick with some fluff on it that gets grubby as sin the first time you use it" (okay maybe £50 is a bit of an exaggeration) SO I got looking for some cheaper alternatives. 



1. Lottie London
Aside from Real Techniques and Eco Tools which are (depending on my mood) reasonable, Lottie London are a fun brand and I think you can get more brush for your dollar. This set of 5 for £20 contain pretty much everything you need and is a good starting point for those converting to the land of the brush. I'm a big fan of the pink angled brush for applying eyebrow powder and the little yellow blending brush is my go-to for highlighting those brow bones. They're all soft, firm and pretty funky coloured. 


2. Wilko
Oh Wilko! You never let me down, sista. I cannot rave about their make-up sponge enough! It's sooo good. This one pictured is actually my second one as I recently was forced to ditch my original grubby baby having used and abused it for the past year or so, which is why the pictured one is looking so pristine and brand spanking new. I've tried other sponges and always returned to this one from Wilko as it's super soft and.. spongy? I like the powder brush too, though it is quite a solid, hefty thing so I tend to use it for bronzer. And finally, the eye shadow and concealer brush are super good ones too, lovely and soft. I like to use the concealer one for applying precise eye shadows. Since getting new shadow brushes, I now use these for colour correction which is really effective due to them being quite stumpy and firm. 



3. eBay 
These little babies are my star buys! And they were about £4 for the lot. You get 5 face brushes which are really soft but really firm which is what I like from a good face brush. I like to apply my base with my trusty Wilko sponge and then blend out with one of these cheapies which gives a pretty good finish. They're also good for bronzer/contour. The set also has 5 eye brushes, which I love slightly more than the face ones. Some are firmer and good for pigmented application and some are lovely and fluffy for optimum blending powers. All the brushes are different sizes and angles so you can get into all those facial nooks and crannys. I've only used the brushes for powdered make-up and blending but I expect they would work well with liquids too. I got them on eBay, there is stock from the UK and China so just bear this in mind as the China stock will obviously take a while to arrive. They come in all different colours, just click the link below and have a look for what you want. I do recommend eBay for trying novel/backup brushes.



4. Primark & Poundland
Finally, a little shout out to the cheapest of cheap. Primark have some not-bad make-up tools, I tried the sponge and it wasn't soft enough for me but good for messing around with cosplay looks. I like their eyeshadow brush as it is quite pointy so good for getting into the eyelid crease. This one retails at £1. I've seen on Primark's Instagram that their European stores sell some rose gold,fancy looking brushes which I'd love to try so I'm hoping they hit UK stores ASAP! Worth keeping your eyes peeled for them. The other little delight I have pictured is a blush brush from...POUNDLAND! Yes, you can be as high end as you like but don't deny the thrill you feel when you can get a massive bag of Haribo for a quid. I use this brush for highlighting my cheek bones, it's very flimsy and soft so it doesn't pick up a lot of product which is good for applying a subtle amount of highlighter in my opinion. 

So there you have it! Apart from my beloved Wilko sponge, I don't tend to use these all the time but they're really good to turn to if my favourites are taking a bath or to change it up a bit. Cheaper brushes are perfect if you don't have the biggest of budgets and handy to have for travel or experimenting with, you can just chuck them when you're done and it won't break the bank. 




You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. This was so an interesting post to read! I don't think that I have seen this around before! To be honest, I'm also one that's sick of seeing fancy-pants zoeva brushes haha. May I say, you have a lovely blog!:)xx

    Check out my recent post?
    I'm trying to blog everyday in half term :)
    http://hannahporterx.blogspot.co.uk/2016/02/contouring-101.html

    ReplyDelete