Caring for curly hair

23:03



I often get questions about how I get my hair like it is or how I care for it. Being naturally curly, my hair is very dry so I need to choose products that calm frizz and inject moisture. It's taken me a while but I think I've finally found the right hair care routine for me and I'd like to share it with you all.

 Lets start with shampoo! These are literally the only shampoos that work for me. The L'Oreal Paris Ever Pure Shampoo for Colour Care and Moisture is perfect for curly hair. It contains no sulphates which is a common ingredient in ordinary shampoos that promotes foaming of the product as well as leaving the hair prone to breaking and drying out. No sulphates means the hair is gently cleaned, moisture is easier to absorb and the hair's natural oils are retained. After washing out regular shampoo, my hair feels dry and tangled, but after using the no sulphates product, it feels almost as if it's been washed with conditioner hence much smoother and easier to care for while treating it and once it is dry. It also smells absolutely beautiful! Subtly minty, it just reminds me of summer! 

I also alternate with Aussie's Frizz Miracle shampoo. It does have sulphates so it doesn't make my hair feel so soft and smooth but it does help control frizz in the same way the L'Oreal Paris one does. Since these are the only shampoos that seem to work for me, I like to use them both!

As for conditioner, I tend to buy anything that is either on sale or just smells nice! Sometimes choosing a conditioner that is especially for frizz-easing is good for an extra fight against frizz boost but it doesn't always make much difference. 


Onto the treats! I was told by my hairdresser that I should only treat my hair with conditioning treatments once or twice a week because the hair will develop a kind of tolerance against the deep treatments making them ineffective, doing potentially more harm than good. 

So about once or twice a week, I use a purple shampoo after my initial shampoo choice from above. I use ProVoke's Touch of Silver Twice a Week Brightening Shampoo. Its a very dark purple, watery liquid that needs a lot of work to foam it well. I tend to just put it straight onto the ends of my where I have the light blonde ombre and massaging the excess up to the roots of my hair. Purple is opposite of yellow on the colour wheel so the purpose of using the shampoo is to eliminate brassy tones in blonde hair, keeping it bright. I really love this product, it absolutely works after one use and continues to keep brassiness at bay! Oh - and it smells incredibly nice!

Aussie's 3 Minute Miracle Frizz Remedy is a super treatment option for curly or frizzy hair. I use it once or twice a week, usually in replace of my standard conditioner but sometimes as well as depending how dry my hair is feeling. My hair feels incredibly smooth after washing it out, it's actually so dreamy! Once dried, my hair's crazy frizz level has definitely toned down! 

On occasion I also like to use Lee Stafford's Treatment for Hair That Never Grows Past a Certain Length in replace of the 3 Minute Miracle Frizz Remedy. It's a more luxury, high end, expensive brand so I don't like to use it too often but when I do my hair knows it's in for a real treat!! I purchased this product a few years ago, attracted to what it's designed to do as I'd never seen anything like it before and I desperately wanted my hair to just GROW! I'd like to bet my lucky stars that this stuff actually worked because I'm sure my hair got the nudge it needed to grow past that "certain length". There's a cute little message on the side of the tub "if the earth's not nourished, you'll never grow beautiful flowers", so it's trick is that it nourishes your roots, makes them all pretty and perfect for growing! I massage the product into my roots and comb it through to the tips. I try to leave it in as long as possible, the longer the better! Again, it smells sooo good! Even if this product did bugger all, I'd still buy it for its smell! Please just go into a Boots and smell it for yourself, it's so incredibly yummy...


As for hair care out of the shower, I swear by Big Curls by Samy Salon. I think it's an American brand and no longer seems to be stocked in Superdrug or Boots, which is such a shame. While I was in America for the summer, I was hoping to bring a load of it back , I found the brand but just not this product! I've seen you can buy it on Amazon by clicking here. The product is a cream which is  really nice consistency and doesn't leave the hair feeling sticky or stiff when applying it to dry or wet hair. It also helps calm frizz and defines the curl. And it smells gorgeous!

When I wash my hair, I usually braid it into one plait as I like how it looks when the braid is dry and I take it out. So I like to use a little of the Big Curls cream and a squirt of scrunching jelly. I usually use John Freida's styling gel but I thought I'd try this Curl Friends one from Umberto Giannini. A little goes a long way with this product because it can make the hair crispy and wet/greasy looking if too much is used. I don't like to use it on dry hair unless I mix it with a conditioner or the Big Curls cream. It just helps to define curls and calm frizz.

Finally, a must have product is the Batiste Dry Shampoo! It's not good to wash hair too much, as it strips hair of all its natural healthy oils, making it dryer and more prone to damage (no good for my curly hair!). So I like to use this in-between washes to keep my hair feeling clean and to refresh the roots. I tend to wash my hair every third day. It doesn't tend to get greasy, I don't use the dry shampoo every time but it's handy to have.


So that's how I care for my hair! God I wish I knew what I know now about controlling my hair when I was at school!! For that reason, I hope this helps a fellow curly gurly tame their monstrous main! Or give others some tips on controlling frizz. Every product I've listed above, I've provided a link to where I purchase them from, just click the underlined writing. 

Oh, one more thing. I never brush my hair! The only exception is when I'm letting conditioner do its thang, even then I use a comb or needing to brush it into a style when it's straightened. 




You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. Some of these products sound like things I need to start using! Thanks for sharing!
    Grace xx
    http://gracexkate.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete